Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Fresh or Raw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh or Raw???

I am taking the best parts of two FORD 351 Windsor motors and making one that I plan to be able to install and keep in the pilot house for a good while. The old engine was raw water cooled. The boat was pulled most of the time and was flushed with Salt Away religiously after every use. This year I have the opportunity to leave the boat on a lift. The lift does have fresh water available however it will be shut off during the winter when I probably use the boat the most. I am thinking about converting it to fresh water and would like to know the pro's and con's of doing that in my particular scenario. It is used in salt water 98.5% of the time. If keeping the boat in the water is a better option for the engine I could do that instead however the water where it is kept is so warm that the bottom gets covered quickly.
    *Are the parts still available for the conversion?
    *What are the pro's and con's?
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by My My Hey Hey; 12-28-2017, 05:12 AM.
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Steve, I like the fresh water route. I keep my boat in the water at the Marina and even then I flush the engine after each use. I close the thru hull valve and hook up the flush hose and run her for about 5 minutes. I always felt that with a raw water system you never got a true flushing because of the thermostat not opening with cold water coming in all the while flushing.
    Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
    1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
    2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
    Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
    17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

Biggest thing about raw water cooling I dont like is it can freeze. And corrode. I deal with raw water cooled boats at work and it's a PIA especially on days like today (it's 4 deg here now). I do know you can winterize it, I get it. But to me the expense is worth the overall benefits.

http://www.mrcool.us/fresh-water-cooling-kits.html

Another one especially if you end up with a diesel

http://www.mesamarine.com/

I bought a heat exchanger from these people. A little more than MESA but a lot less lead time. Still cheaper than Mercruiser. Like 1/2.

http://www.seakamp.com/
      '78 20ft Cuddy
      Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

Fresh water cooled engines run at a more consistent and higher temperature which in turn should result in better combustion and fuel economy.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Last I priced one out the entire half system for Fords was still available from PCM. I don't think the Indmar kits are available for Fords anymore. I believe I have a Indmar kit that I would let go.

Comment

• joeschmoe
            joeschmoe commented
            Editing a comment
            you still have that kit? , i would like to convert to fresh water cooled

Everywhere I have looked since last summer Dave shows the PCM kit discontinued. Their typical PCM support for the parts they made for Ford engines. You know their fix for a bad Ford ECM is to replace it with a new engine..........

Comment

That seems to be their fix for almost every issue. I'll check with pcm to see what's available as far as parts and what's not and report back. It was at least a year ago I checked into one.

Comment

• My My Hey Hey
              My My Hey Hey commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Dave.

Thanks Pedlyr. You brought up one of the main points that I meant to mention. Not only do I want to keep the flushing as easy as possible in the winter, I want to be able to keep it from freezing as easily as possible through striper season 12/31. I appreciate the links and will look into them after I see what Dave finds out for me.
            As far as the diesel goes, I already have all of the components to make the Cummins fresh water cooled I believe however I will be looking for advice from you when I get further into that project. Thank you.
            1980 pilot house 351
            1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Dave, have you been able to check on that kit yet?

Thank you,
              1980 pilot house 351
              1988 260 predator 408

Comment

• DaveR
                DaveR commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll check tomorrow

Steve, I have everything you would need. X5
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• joeschmoe
                joeschmoe commented
                Editing a comment
                you have a whole freshwater cooling conversion?, if so I also would be interested if Steve is not.

I know you guys are doing this on newer engines than mine. I’ve thought about converting mine to a fresh water system. Probably makes more sense to leave it until I need a rebuild or engine swap, but either way I’m learning.
              Chip
              Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
              PCM 302, RWC

Comment

Actually, the short block I am using is a 1969 vintage. Can you believe that was 49 years ago?
                1980 pilot house 351
                1988 260 predator 408

Comment

• Fisherlady2
                  Fisherlady2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Be very careful! 49 isn't that ancient! 😉

Whoa, well that just goes to show how some things haven’t changed, and probably shouldn’t. I love old stuff.
                Chip
                Camden, Delaware

1989 Shamrock 20 Cuddy Cabin (Rock Bottom)
                PCM 302, RWC

Comment

The Windsor block was one of Fords greats.
                  Atlantic City, NJ
                  1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Dave and Jerry hooked me up with a PCM fresh water system. Thanks guys. I am having a hard time seeing exactly where the brackets R090038, R090039 and R090040 go. They are for the heat exchanger and surge tank. I have a diagram but it isn't specific. Would someone have a picture they could post. Thanks.
                    1980 pilot house 351
                    1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Working...
                    X