Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

1981 26 Open....Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 26 Open....Rebuild

37 year old gas tank finally started leaking. Time to do the rebuild from bow to stern. Plan to replace tank (obviously), replace deck (soft spots), while deck is up remove/replace wet foam, pull engine and tranny (do oil pan and other maintenance that can only be done witb engine put of boat). I am sure the list will grow but that is the start. Hope to keep thread running with pictures and updates. Kids soccer schedule may make it difficult but she is gonna be one sweet boat when she is done.

This will be cool. I have done a few 26'ers but never an open. They have a little different layout. If the foam was supporting something, make sure you support that something. We are all here to help with our past mistakes. We made them so you don't have to.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Lookin forward to it Travis. If you need help with anything I'll stop over.

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
        We are all here to help with our past mistakes. We made them so you don't have to.
        I love this phrase, so true, none of us are immune and the willingness to share these adventures has been what makes this such a great place to be!

Karen
        Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
        1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
        1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
        3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Thanks in advance for the help...I will have a lots of questions as the project moves along. But for now I am just wrestling with the beast of a gas tank. Anyone know if I could convert to 2 side tanks like the later model boats? I don't have the deck up to see what the is going on in terms of room/bulkheads on either side of the console but I could gain a ton of storage space by converting to side tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tcf25 View Post
            Thanks in advance for the help...I will have a lots of questions as the project moves along. But for now I am just wrestling with the beast of a gas tank. Anyone know if I could convert to 2 side tanks like the later model boats? I don't have the deck up to see what the is going on in terms of room/bulkheads on either side of the console but I could gain a ton of storage space by converting to side tanks.
            I think that Nay would be the person to ask about converting the fuel tanks.
            Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
            1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
            2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
            Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
            17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

Were tanks bedded in foam under the whole tank or only the corners? Reason for asking is my understanding that tanks with minimal foam at corners last very long and it's only those sitting in foam that rot prematurely.
              1988 WalkThru 20
              302 Ford
              (sold)

Comment

From what i have done so far it seems that it is foamed under bottom and around the sides but mainly towards the bow...i have not found any corrosion so far but am guessing it is on the bottom of tank.

I have been reading a lot on foam vs no foam on gas tank install. Despite the tank leaking i would not say that it was premature...it did last for 37 years. Considering different options and leaning towards not using foam again

Comment

Think about the tyvek option. It allows moisture to wick away from the tank. A good thing.
                  Atlantic City, NJ
                  1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I just use wedges. Simple, effective and costs 0.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    31 Grand Slam
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

• My My Hey Hey
                      My My Hey Hey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Keep the cost $0 ideas coming! Haha

Comment

Even with minimal bedding foam or wedges at corners, I'd also coat the tanks with coal tar epoxy for peace of mind. Not much $ either.
                      1988 WalkThru 20
                      302 Ford
                      (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Islander View Post
                        Even with minimal bedding foam or wedges at corners, I'd also coat the tanks with coal tar epoxy for peace of mind. Not much $ either.
                        I do this.
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        31 Grand Slam
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Mine came with epoxy paint from Speedy tanks. Thick too. They said two coats.
                          Atlantic City, NJ
                          1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I feel furtunate to have been witness to many beautiful moments in my life. The green flash while sailing in the keys with my father, lifting the veil to kiss my wife at our wedding, the birth of my four boys...and add another moment today...gas tank popping loose with one pry of the pry bar (after removing foam from around tank edges). Need to pump out remaining 30 gallons of gas and tank will be out of the boat.

Will get some pictures next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X