Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Looking to jump aboard the Shamrock crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to jump aboard the Shamrock crew

Hey folks, I am looking seriously at a late 70's 20' pilothouse. I am wondering what the "usual suspects" are in terms of issues to look out for? I have read about fuel tanks and motor mounts being possibly problematic, aside from that, what else are big things I should be looking out for? Thanks!

Wet foam under the decks and rotten plywood in the cockpit tank covers are two that come to mind.

Comment

IMHO, you are looking at a nearly 40 year old boat which means look at everything. These boats were built very well but depending on the care of POs, they can have repairs that weren't great, any wood that water got to may be rotten engine parts are worn out. One thing that may look bad are the wood in the stringers but they were there to form the glass more than anything. The engine beds are another thing. They need to be solid. You get my drift, check everything.
      Atlantic City, NJ
      1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Like Skip says. Old boats, no matter the make, check everything. One thing good about Shamrocks, they are easy to work on and everything is easily fixed.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
        X