Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Lens cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens cleaner

So I really like my old Garmin 2010C but the lens has numerous scratches. Do I dare try using one of the products made to clear headlight lenses?

regards Holty

I've had a lot of luck cleaning the isenglass on my boat with Lemon Pledge and a soft rag.
    Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
    1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
    2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
    Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
    17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

Hello Clyde, where ya been?
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks Clyde, I will give it a shot..

regards Holty

Comment

I would try Clyde's idea first. It sounds less desperate. Those lense cleaners, I think, help light go through but really don't make it clear like you would want the cover. I don't think it last long either.
          1980 pilot house 351
          1988 260 predator 408

Comment

I use Novus on boat glass, cleaner then polish. Wanna' be creative? Try a little toothpaste and water on a corner, that's a fine polish.

Comment

Hi Jerry and all my other friends on this site. Been spending all my free time with my granddaughters. The boat has been sitting in the driveway since the season before covid hit. I keep thinking about selling it but it's hard to let it go. I started it up about two weeks ago and she lit right off. Just can't beat those diesels. I still get notifications from the forum in my email and will usually log on and see what's going on but rarely sign in. After spending the day with my granddaughters I usually just go home and get in my recliner and relax.

Take care everyone and "Tight Lines"
              Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
              1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
              2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
              Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
              17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

I wouldn't use the headlight cleaner. It's a mild abrasive that works great on polycarbonate, but I think GPS screens are a completely different material. Might work, might ruin it. If you try it, please report back so the rest of us will know!

Comment

So the Pledge made the lens a little better but not what I was looking for. I had some '210+ plus plastic scratch remover' that I have used on my side curtains. After trying it in a corner with good results I went at it with a small cloth and a little polish. The lens became clearer but I wanted more. I then used a small 3" foam polishing pad that attaches to a drill with lots of the 210 plus. This did the trick. The lens looks new again.

regards Holty

Comment

That is great!
                    Steve
                    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Wonderful. Before and after pictures please.
                      1980 pilot house 351
                      1988 260 predator 408

Comment

How to get the cloudiness out of my isenglass?
                        1988 26' cuddy
                        1975 20' open
                        16' Sandpiper
                        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

See post # nine. The electric-powered polishing pads make it easy. I have had a Meguiar's G3500 dual action drill polisher for years. I use it for the wax on wax off in tight spaces. I use it on my side curtains as well. I used it on my Garmin screen. This tool can't be beat. I think it's a must-have.

regards Holty

The 210 products come in degrees of abrasiveness. You may need one for scratches then go milder

Comment

Jay, that works on the cloudiness?
                            1988 26' cuddy
                            1975 20' open
                            16' Sandpiper
                            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The 210 products may not get it back to like new again but there will be a definite improvement. Start with the scratch remover then go to the polish. You need some elbow grease so use some type of powered polisher with a soft foam pad.

regards Holty

Comment

Working...
                              X