Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Another project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another project

So as much as I love our 26 H/T one of the quirks I didn't like was the cramped walkway between the rear helm and dog house step. Our boat originally had a factory rear helm which reduced that space to a few inches, as you can see...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN2311.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	33294 so while Chris dug into repairing mechanical and electrical I removed , redesigned and built a new rear helm, which helped a lot...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN2853(1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	33295 but after a couple years of use I was still not happy about tripping over the step corner or stubbing my toes, so I head scratched and drew up new options. Since I have no fiberglass skills (yet) I knew my best option was a 2 piece set up with wood and sheet metal.
    I wanted a hatch cover that allowed access to the battery switches and fuel valves without removing it. I settled by building one out of teak scrap wood I salvaged from old locker covers and other projects. A simple drop bolt makes it easy to remove any time we need further bilge access. I will watch for heat retention issues and may cut some vents into it if needed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211017_170011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	33296
    Then the second piece was built out of sheet aluminum (I scuffed it with a drill and wire wheel brush to give it the swirled finish) with angle pieces welded around top edge, with the step tread attached to it via screws from underneath. There are 2 pins in the front of the riser that drop into holes drilled into the bottom hatch cover to keep it in place, and snap over latches holding it to the doghouse. I was supposed to have stainless vent covers for the sides but they haven't arrived yet, so will add the side vents when we get them. Chris cut out the front shamrock with a plasma cutter. It is filled with mesh I spray painted green.
    debating on doing another aluminum riser and using the plasma cutter to cut out the full shamrock logo....well, maybe next year....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211017_155249.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	33297
    And best yet... now I have a great walk space between the doghouse and rear helm! Mission accomplished!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211018_104914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	33298 now I need to redo the floor...
    Last edited by Fisherlady2; 10-18-2021, 07:20 PM.
    Karen
    Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
    1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
    1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
    3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Nice job Karen. It looks nice.
    Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
    1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
    2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
    Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
    17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

That looks great Karen and equally important it provides much better walk space. It’s an excellent improvement.
      Mark
      1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
      1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Two ideas for your alum. One is spray with acrylic to prevent oxidation. And a small round sanding disc or scotch Brite pad on a drill press and you get a different pattern. I always liked this one. The size of the disc can be altered to change the size of the pattern.
        https://duckduckgo.com/?q=swirl+payt...304w&ia=videos
        Last edited by Ship; 10-19-2021, 05:28 AM.
        Atlantic City, NJ
        1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

• Fisherlady2
          Fisherlady2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like them! I have a drill press, but now I want a lathe! πŸ˜†

Thanks guys, the boat is always a work in progress, keeps it fun. Though this project was for a practical purpose. I think my next change will be boxed seat bases instead of the pedestals and raising the driver's side about 4"...
        Karen
        Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
        1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
        1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
        3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Sorry but I dropped the lathe while moving it. Antique screw lathes don't bounce well. I was trying to give it to my daughter because she wanted the base for a steamboat style table. The scrap yard got it instead. The gear head shattered when it hit the concrete. As did part of the leg.
          Atlantic City, NJ
          1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Clever how the Shamrock is actually a vent. What is the deckplate for on the outboard side of the hatch?
            '78 20ft Cuddy
            Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

• Fisherlady2
              Fisherlady2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Was there when we got the boat, allows access to fuel pickup tube. That hatch is a PAIN to lift because of the rear helm, I think the deck plate was a compromise.
          Working...
          X