Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Remote Controlled Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Controlled Light?

I’m not out at night much, but it happens occasionally, sometimes unplanned.

It would be nice to have a light on the bowsprit and the ability to turn it on and off from the helm without the need for elaborate wiring.

Has anyone seen something like that, or have any ideas ?

Don't know what model/length of your boat but would think putting a flood/spotlight on the bow platform would cause it to be buried in water on occasion thereby reducing life expectancy. Mine is high and midship on the cabin top. (This may not be feasible on your boat.) The con for putting a spot light midship is that it will reflect light off the deck. I see spot lights on the bow of other boats but wouldn't work for the service conditions my boat runs in.

Whatever spot light you choose make sure the replacement bulb is readily available. I had a AFI spot and with time couldn't get bulbs for it.
    C Rhodes
    26' Mackinaw - 1990
    351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
    351 PCM (2006 - Current)
    Southport, NC

Comment

My bowsprit stays pretty dry. In my case, I’d only put the light up there as night approached, so it wouldn’t be out all the time. That’s why I need something that’s not too elaborate.

Comment

Get one off a cop car. Be creative mounting it.

Comment

Won’t the cops object to that?

Comment

Awww, c'mon...don't be so cheap... go FLIR !
            1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

Comment

We had a remote control light mounted on top of the bow rail. We ran the wire through the inside of the rail tube.
              Mark
              1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
              1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Maybe this...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRS2GY1...d6c7e95d0&th=1
                1986 26' HT w/5.7 PCM 330HP RWC

Comment

I dunno, I have a hand held that plugs into the cigarette lighter for like 15 years. Dont have to mess with it. It works and doesnt pit or corrode or break connections or stop spinning or whatever. And if it does breaks I buy another one for $50 or less. Just my take
                  '78 20ft Cuddy
                  Mercruiser 350 FWC preVortec w/Carb

Comment

One reason I liked the light mounted on top of the bow rail is there was absolutely no glare in the boat. We made a small platform out of starboard to mount the light. We traced the u shape of the rail where it curves over the front of the pulpit. I used a bull nose bit in the router to duplicate the shape in the bottom of the starboard. It was secured to the rail with a few u bolts from underneath.
                    Mark
                    1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                    1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

A thought: I sometimes (less now with GPS) swing my light behind me to verify I'm in the channel when only channel markers w/o lights are available. Can't do that with a bow mounted spot.
                      C Rhodes
                      26' Mackinaw - 1990
                      351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                      351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                      Southport, NC

Comment

• GREGK
                        GREGK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see where you went with that! LOL.
                    Working...
                    X