Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

De-Scaling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Scaling?

I’ve been flushing the sea water side of the freshwater cooling system on my 22’ Stalker after every use since I got the boat new 18 years ago, but only recently read about some people de-scaling every year.

Are you guys using a descaler on a routine basis? Is there a downside?

Don't think there is a down side but if you have been flushing, I don't think you need it. Someone who is more into maintenance than I should answer.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have been using a descaler on my Yanmar for a few seasons. one gallon descaler mixed with 4 gallons water sucked into the system. Wait 2 to 3 hrs and flush it out. The large amount of fine white scale that flushes out is quite something. I think it is good maintenance for the heat exchanger, oil cooler, aftercooler and tranny oil cooler.

regards Holty

Comment

Holty, what kind do you use ? How often ?
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I suspect the white scale is salt. Salt Away would active the same results. The only way to be sure would be an analysis of the scale.
          Atlantic City, NJ
          1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I used BrightBay engine descaler. On Amazon for about $35 gallon. I used this brand because it is safe for aluminum.

Comment

Working...
            X