Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

In search of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of...

OK fellow shamrockers, I am in search of a small item of big use for me. This little piece of plastic is used while trolling with a downrigger. It is attached to the downrigger line and then I wrap a rubber band around my fishing line and then slip the other end of the band over the hook and lower the downrigger.
    I think the hook I got was in a yardsale box from years and years ago and I can't find them for sale anywhere. I am having a lot of trouble with my hands and the typical pinch style releases are either too painful or downright impossible for me to work anymore and this little piece of plastic means it is still easy for me to set and work the riggers without bugging Chris to help.
    Chris is trying to brainstorm cutting out or otherwise making me some replacements but I figured I would ask if anyone here was familiar with something the same from another company still for sale. Makes me think that one of those 3D printers would be a good investment, lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_123932.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	32851
    Karen
    Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
    1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
    1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
    3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Karen,

Assume you have done a lot of searching but here are a couple of links for possible substitute. The third link should be easy on the hands. It attaches between the lead ball and the downrigger line. If you don't want the fishing line to move we just take a few twists on the line before clipping and it stays in place. Tension only needs to be set once. (Doubt this is new to you but fishing methodologies can be regional so thought I would mention it):

https://alltackle.com/cannon_accesso...icedesc&page=1

https://alltackle.com/cannon_accesso...icedesc&page=2

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/tig8865...ips--pair.html

C Rhodes
    26' Mackinaw - 1990
    351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
    351 PCM (2006 - Current)
    Southport, NC

Comment

Thanks, we do have the types in your 3rd link, and they do the job, just not quite as user friendly for my thumbs as the other one.
      always appreciate the help, and yes, fishing methods/set ups can be surprisingly regional.
      Karen

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-1182-R...8148149&psc=1#
        Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
        1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
        2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
        Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
        17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

I use those clips on my planner boards. They work great
          Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
          1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
          2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
          Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
          17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

Not sure if this would work in your application but we use Aftco roller troller flat line clips shown in the photo. We have several of these attached just below the rub rail for trolling spoons while stripper fishing. They have served us well for over 20 years. Rather then trying to open it with my thumb I give a tug on the line passing over the roller to pop it open. You could also use a small round bar like the shank of Phillips screw driver to open it. The tension is adjustable.
            Mark
            1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
            1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer? That would be easy to duplicate.

Comment

Plexiglass and Dremel. Put Chris to work. It's a cold night project.
                Atlantic City, NJ
                1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

Would be nice to 3D print them. Could customize them with either Shamrock or possibly the boat name.
                  Mark
                  1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                  1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Just a thought. A lot of times you can take your little projects like this and go to the local high school or community college and they'll do it for the cost of material. I'm sure they have 3D printers.

Comment

Can you use something like this? Uses rubber bands. (You have my curiosity up...)

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Jon-Sport...78308305&psc=1

https://vandamwarehouse.com/band-buster-downrigger-release-by-big-jon-sports/
                      Last edited by crhodes; 09-12-2021, 08:08 PM.
                      C Rhodes
                      26' Mackinaw - 1990
                      351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                      351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                      Southport, NC

Comment

Thanks guys! A lot of good options. Mark and Clyde, I like those releases. Seem to be tons of unexplored options out there. I think we will try a few different things, probably 1 homemade, will check at local school about a 3 d printer option and crhodes, that link is great , with all my searching I hadn't found that one.
                        Karen

Comment

Working...
                        X