Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Flushing system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper Sniper
    replied
    This what I intend to install.
    https://www.wholesalemarine.com/groc...rvice-adapter/

Install after the shutoff valve at the intake to the cooling system.
    Last edited by Striper Sniper; 10-05-2021, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenbeard
    replied
    This is my flush out system. Simple addition of a hose bib to the rw hose.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bumankumar3
    replied
    Good point about the screen..boi hrmsteatv apk
    Last edited by bumankumar3; 09-29-2021, 04:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mako2 View Post
    Good point about the screen. Looking closer to the drawing ours was slightly different but very much the same idea. We had the “T” on the inlet side of the strainer. My thought was it also allowed the strainer to be flushed. As there were seasons where we were running after freezing temps arrived. When we got back to the dock after a fishing trip we put potable antifreeze in the bucket and ran the engine pulling the antifreeze mix from the bucket until we saw antifreeze coming out of the exhaust. All we were ever out was around 2 gallons of antifreeze on a trip but we fortunately never had a freeze up problem.
    Yup, thats how we winterize. Not that I have in years if the boat stays in the water.. Global warming ya kno. Just reminded me to send AlGore some money for more carbon credits. Y'all buy them doncha.

Leave a comment:

• Mako2
    replied
    Good point about the screen. Looking closer to the drawing ours was slightly different but very much the same idea. We had the “T” on the inlet side of the strainer. My thought was it also allowed the strainer to be flushed. As there were seasons where we were running after freezing temps arrived. When we got back to the dock after a fishing trip we put potable antifreeze in the bucket and ran the engine pulling the antifreeze mix from the bucket until we saw antifreeze coming out of the exhaust. All we were ever out was around 2 gallons of antifreeze on a trip but we fortunately never had a freeze up problem.
    Last edited by Mako2; 09-05-2021, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deputyrpa
    replied
    Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post

I have a screen on the end of the hose.
    Yet another secret revealed.....lol!

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    Originally posted by Deputyrpa View Post

So you could suck the bilge water through the heat exchanger and out the exhaust? Should a removable filter be an advantage, given what's in my bilge?
    I have a screen on the end of the hose.

Leave a comment:

• Pequod
    replied
    KISS. No plastic and no check valves. JMO
    I have used my Perko Flush system for 22 seasons with zero problems. Fact.

Leave a comment:

• Deputyrpa
    replied
    And it works as an emergency bilge pump. Actually saved my boat one night. That crank mounted RW pump pumps a lot of water.
    So you could suck the bilge water through the heat exchanger and out the exhaust? Should a removable filter be an advantage, given what's in my bilge?

Leave a comment:

• Mako2
    replied
    I use the same set up as in Jerry’s illustration. Not only does it give the large advantage of an emergency pump it also has you exercising the valves to prevent them from seizing up ensuring they will work when needed.

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    And it works as an emergency bilge pump. Actually saved my boat one night. That crank mounted RW pump pumps a lot of water.

Leave a comment:

• tuner
    replied
    I have the new Perko design with a stainless v-band clamp, it replaced the older version without a clamp. I read about some of the failures and figured that the old design and, possibly, installation/operation issues contributed (heat, over pressure, freezing, etc). The new valve has been on for over a year and works perfectly. I only run the water when the engine is running because the valve can be damaged from high water pressure: a quick prime, start the engine then reopen the water supply, close water supply and shut down engine. That said, I would seriously consider Jerry's design due to the simplicity and how quickly it can be used as an emergency bilge pump.

Last edited by tuner; 09-02-2021, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fish Witch
    replied
    My 270 came with a flush system which does what the plastic Perko unit does, but with separate bronze swing check valve and hose connection fittings downsteam of the inlet strainer. This has worked well for me and I'm not worried about the swing check failing in the closed position since i have a cooling water flow sensor that screams at me every time I start up until it gets flow. I suppose if it failed in the open position, I'd be getting a mix of fresh and salt water since I do this in the slip, but I'd find out if that was the case when I pull it to put away for the season as I'd get water out the seawater inlet.. The only other thing I've come to worry about is shutting down while the hose is connected which makes the pump impeller take a set in the opposite direction. I now start the engine, open the hose connection to flush then shut off the hose and quickly shut down the engine. A hose ball valve near the deck connection helps do this easily.

Leave a comment:

• Quickstep192
    replied
    Wow, $150 for a chunk of plastic. You guys are right. Need to keep it simple. I need to find a place to put the valve that's not to hard to access. Hmmmmmm....

Leave a comment:

• Quik Fix
    replied
    KISS. No plastic and no check valves. JMO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X