Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Pre-purchase advise on '98 260 center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing by Marine Salvage in (I think ) Ft Pierce

Comment

Good advise there. Plan on spending another day.
      1988 26' cuddy
      1975 20' open
      16' Sandpiper
      14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The engine box is a good idea.

I have a center console and it can be a challenge to service the engine under the console.

Comment

Holtys Hooterter Daps can be seen on the website info page. Right at the top. Since I destroyed my platform and brackets, I'm gunna make a pair.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
            Holtys Hooterter Daps can be seen on the website info page. Right at the top. Since I destroyed my platform and brackets, I'm gunna make a pair.
            What website is that?

Comment

shamrockboats.com, classicshamrocks, information page.
              Maybe just classicshamrocks.net, don't know, how did you get here?
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
                shamrockboats.com, classicshamrocks, information page.
                Maybe just classicshamrocks.net, don't know, how did you get here?
                I am a bit slow. I appreciate all the responses to my thread though. Making the drive from VA to FL tomorrow. Hoping for not too many surprises.

Comment

I'll tell you what... I spent last night thinking about this boat and I'm sitting here now still contemplating it. Keel drive is a very deep rabbit hole to go down, and I went down it last night. I guess I will just have to take a sea trial and find out for myself.

Comment

Sea trial the one in Easton, its closer...with half the tower in place.

Comment

I like the console and engine box. Awesome platform for fishing. Don’t worry about the keel drive there amazing. If you like inboards you’ll love the way she handles. Cool rig. Where in Fl?

Comment

Well, here's the update... Before I made the drive all the way down to Florida, I made sure to get all the questions I could think of out of the way... it's a 12 hour drive that I didn't want to make for nothing. Anybody who has been around boats knows one question to ask is usually "are there any soft areas on the deck?" The answer was "oh, noooooo... she's solid as a rock!". You can see where this is going. I get down there, pretty excited about the boat, stayed in a hotel overnight and met the seller at the boat in the morning. Took me all of about two minutes to feel the very large soft areas on the starboard forward deck and next to the console. The screwholes that had let in the water were pretty obvious, still not filled, and these areas had a solid inch of give to them. After a few choice words, I got back in my truck and drove the 12 hour drive home.

Comment

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear someone wasnt straight about what shape the boat was in. Hope you are able to find a better shamrock option closer to home.
                          If need be let us know here on the boards and if the boat is close to a member here we can maybe go give it an initial look over and help you avoid anymore soft decks at least.
                          Some problems hide better and a survey is always a good investment for a larger purchase but general condition can be determined with an honest walk around and walk on.
                          Karen
                          Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
                          1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
                          1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
                          3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Working...
                          X