Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Pre-purchase advise on '98 260 center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-purchase advise on '98 260 center console

New to the forum, at least as a member. I am familiar with Shamrock boats but have never owned one. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1998 260 Center Console that I have a couple general questions about.. It's got a 350 Mag Merc and seems to be in pretty good running condition mechanically. One thing is that it seems to be a different layout than I've mostly seen, with the console set further forward and the engine box... a layout I think I like. Anyways, I'll shut my mouth and post some pictures of her. Any bits of info or advice I'm all ears.

I believe the further forward console was on the commercial pilot house models. It does not look like the standard center console to me and engine box does not seem original. Maybe some customizing for better access to the engine (looks like it would be much easier to work on). I am sure others with more knowledge on here can be of more help

Comment

Originally posted by tcf25 View Post
      I believe the further forward console was on the commercial pilot house models. It does not look like the standard center console to me and engine box does not seem original. Maybe some customizing for better access to the engine (looks like it would be much easier to work on). I am sure others with more knowledge on here can be of more help
      I should have added this photo in the first post. It does seem like it has pretty good access to the motor (which also looks like it's in decent shape, fwiw).

Comment

I agree, looks like either a PH that someone removed the PH from to create an open or an open that someone moved the console forward on, which is something radioman and I did on a Mako years ago, a change I loved, btw...
        Nay or Quik know more about the models though, could have been a short lived trial..

I like that layout, sea trial to see if it handles well and comes up on plane easily to make sure no problems created if it was changed much from production specs. I doubt there are problems though considering the weight comparison between your console and a front cuddy. Should be a great fishing platform though..
        Last edited by Fisherlady2; 05-30-2021, 07:54 AM.
        Karen
        Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
        1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
        1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
        3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

My guess is it was a commercial P/H. I made that livewell and may know more about the boat if you can send me the owners name.
          1988 26' cuddy
          1975 20' open
          16' Sandpiper
          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Also first time I have seen sets of navigation lights mounted in both the hull and on the top. I would have to think one of the sets is not operational. I do like this boats access to work on the motor much more then on our conventional center console.
            Mark
            1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
            1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

How about this swim platform? That's different to me, how the exhausts are. Can this be taken off fairly easily? It looks like they backed into a dock with it too.

Comment

Those are Hooters, I made them also. Everything can come apart.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I can see the hooters allowing you to monitor the exhaust water discharge on boats with a swim platform do they have any other benefits? Did I read previously that they have internal mufflers?
                  Mark

Comment

Water does not come out the back. There are holes drilled in the bottom at the transom. Holty Daps are the mufflers of which you speak.
                    1988 26' cuddy
                    1975 20' open
                    16' Sandpiper
                    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Jerry.
                      Mark

Comment

That would be Hoot-A-Daps

Comment

Originally posted by holty View Post
                          That would be Hoot-A-Daps
                          Hoot-A-Daps by "Holty". Patent pending.
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
                            Those are Hooters, I made them also. Everything can come apart.
                            I don't know who you are, but I'm impressed already. I might leave them on who knows.

Thank you to everyone who has given me some feedback on the boat. I am planning on heading down to Florida on Tuesday and getting a hotel room, going to check the boat out on Wednesday morning. If all goes well I will own my first Shamrock.

Comment

I should have mentioned that I'm trying to put a tower on this boat asap. If anybody knows where I can find a used one with a control box.. I plan on welding a ladder to go behind that engine box and up to the T-Top.. for support and an easy way up. It's a soft top so I'll probably use starboard or PVC board for the portion of the t-top that the tower will be on.

Comment

Working...
                              X