Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Battery suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery suggestions please

I’m pretty sure I’m coming up on time to replace my batteries. I’d appreciate any suggestions on what to get.

The batteries in there are Lifeline AGMs and they’ve served me well, but I wonder if they’re overkill. I rarely run any accessories except when underway. I would like to have batteries that can make it through sub-freezing temperatures in the winter without having to take them out of the boat and bringing to the house.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have had good luck with Deka AGM made by east Penn Manufacturing. Not sure about sub freezing part we don't take the batteries out of cars when it goes below freezing. Trickle charging them off season has been a big help for mine i still have the same batteries that came with the boat when i bought it in 09.
    Serenity
    07 246 WA
    5.7 MPI Crusader

Comment

I usually get 5 years out of the Interstate group 27 marine deep cycle batteries I get from Costco. Reasonable price and life IMO.

Comment

I usually call my local Interstate distributor (NOT retail). I tell them I'm looking for "blems" . (Understand distributors can NOT sell retail good batteries, but if they are "blemished" their non-compete agreement with stores is waived) . Been buying from them for years, never seen anything as much as flyshit wrong w/ them, & the price is right.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps possibly inspired by QuickFix "Changing Times" post, I went to my regular battery guy where I always get good customer service. I opted for the DeKa, but I didn't go for the AGM since these are pretty much just starting batteries. They seemed a lot lighter than the previous AGMs which is welcome since I think the hill to my pier is getting steeper (or I'm getting older, but I'm pretty sure it's the hill)

Comment

Its the hill, have noticed the phenomena all over
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Definitely the hill.
              1988 26' cuddy
              1975 20' open
              16' Sandpiper
              14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The AGM's are less effected from little use sitting there.
                2001 246 WA
                Mercruiser 5.7 Horizon

Comment

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the battery "rejuvination" method that is posted on YouTube?
                  There are numerous posts about it and it sounds legit.
                  I always thought that the plates would warp doing it.
                  Butit seems they dont.

Comment

Working...
                  X