Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

It ran fine last year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ran fine last year...

I just attempted my first trip out this year. I idled out of the creek and the engine crapped out. After many attempts, the engine re-started, but ran rough. It will rev up in neutral, but under load it would rev to about 3,000 but then bog down.

The last time I went out was in the late fall to warm it up so I could change the oil. It ran fine then. I put 20 Gallons of fresh gas in this week.

I’m about to check the fuel filters, but I’d sure appreciate some other ideas for things to check.

I would check for corrosion in the distributor (cap, rotor, reluctor, etc.) What engine is it?
    Steve
    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Sounds like water in your tank to me. Exact same symptoms I had with my inboard Mako years ago.
      Clyde, Pasadena, Maryland
      1985 Shamrock (ROCK SOLID)26 Cuddy Cabin
      2000 Yanmar 4LHDA-STE 230 HP....
      Hurth HSW 630 A1 1.6 1.58 Trolling Valve
      17X17 4 bladed Prop with Light Cup

Comment

The motor is a 5.7 Fuel injected PCM.

I was thinking water too, so I drained and replaced the filters. I have two filters; the one in the FCC and a water separator filter ahead of that. The gas looked pretty stale, but I didn't see any water in it. I'd like to believe that I was running on the stale gas in the filters and now that the new filters are filled with fresh gas, it will run right, but I know enough to realize that boat problems rarely get fixed that easily.

Comment

Working...
        X