Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Lep's pictures & Engine bed rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tcf25 View Post
    I gained about 5 mph after i removed the old wet foam from my 26. Hope you notice similar improvement!
    Thanks Travis, I just read your thread about re-decking, nice job! I may do a very similar thing but just the forward section on my 20. So it looked like you made the bulkheads with marine plywood topped with fir deck stringers, is that correct? I assume those were coated and glassed in?

Did you opt to put foam back in for flotation? Or did you feel it was a structural necessity? I've been looking at Coast Guard regs, and they say any boat "under 20 feet" floatation foam is required.

I agree with Quik, weep holes are a must to let the water out. And, his brilliant idea to make 2x2 cleats to screw the console to is 8 less holes in the deck!
    1986 20' Openfish PCM 302 RWC
    Marblehead, MA

Comment

Correct except I used marine ply and just plain old pine. On top of that I used coosa...if i did it over again i would have used all coosa. I did use the foam as it is structural (i used 4lb foam). I really just used the bulkheads to make it so i had smaller pours with the expanding foam. Not necessarily for added structure. The coosa on top just made a "lid" for the foam. I had multiple holes cut in coosa to allow foam to expand. I then glasses the fiberglass skins from the nonskid deck back on top of the coosa.
      coosa. So in short the foam is supporting everything.
      i wish I did the slick 2x2 trick for the console...i may go back one of these days and do that. It took 30 years for boat to degrade to need the repairs. I think I will be good for another 30.

Comment

• flatrock
        flatrock commented
        Editing a comment
        How many gallons of the two part foam did you go through? And did you opt for the 4lb density over 2lb for possibly less water intrusion being less porous, or because it is stiffer?

I replaced mine in the 20'er with fir, and used plywood for the fastening platforms for purported increased lag hold. I coated the mounts with several coats of vinylester resin, scuffed up the hull and used a layer of chopped strand on it and the mounts to add a mechanical adherence aspect with the vinylester resin, which has really good chemical adhesion strength to begin with. I then then laminated them and gel coated them. Take note of the sweeping hull shape to obtain maximum hull contact for adhesion and the correct mounting height after topcoat.

I was afraid to check the foam, LOL!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1156.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	31523 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1174.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	31524 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1207.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	31525
      1987 26' Hardtop
      1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Comment

• flatrock
        flatrock commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, cutting that shape is going to require some geometry math! Yours look good, nice work.

• Deputyrpa
        Deputyrpa commented
        Editing a comment
        And then fit, re-fit and re-re-fit! Gotta love the old monster Porter Cable belt sander with 40 grit!

First weep hole in place.

Name:	IMG_4293.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	31541

Name:	IMG_4294.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	31542
      Attached Files
      1986 20' Openfish PCM 302 RWC
      Marblehead, MA

Comment

I went with he 4lb foam due to the increased rigidity...stuff is hard as a rock. I can't remember exactly how much. I think it was in my rebuild thread...i know it was one of the most expensive parts of the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
        X