Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Winter chills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter chills

Just another day on the Crystal Coast. Click image for larger version

Name:	beach1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	30221 How is the snow all you yankees?
    Attached Files
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Here on LI's north shore the 10" snowfall we had in early December is long gone. January temps have been below freezing at night and upper 30's to low 40's during the day. The next two weeks are forecast to be the same so I don't think the harbors will see anything other than skim ice early in the morning. Have about 75 days or so and the multi-season ablative application and the wax on, wax off party starts. My doc says I should be receiving my covid shots next month so I can wake up from my hibernation.

regards Holty

Comment

I don't know Jerry; looks are quite deceiving. That stupid yankee wind (along with all the yanks down here) was brutal the past 2 days on Harkers Island. It was tough trying to wire control voltage in the stuff. I cant do it with gloves. Oh well....just happy Frosty the Snowman didnt decide have diarrhea on us.

Comment

Long pants and heat on in the am here in the Keys as well

Comment

We've had snow on the ground since early November and it's not likely going to leave until April. Temps have been mild though, mostly in the 20's so not too bad for those of us with thick blood at least. One thing this damn Covid thing has done though is we don't have our annual trip to get out of the cold planned which always helps us get through the long winters. I can't wait for May to come and go after those big halibut again! I had some deep fried from the freezer last night and fresh is much better.

Comment

Fish Witch, I, like a lot of others, watch those "Alaska" shows on TV. I'm pretty sure you live a more civilized life than is portrayed on most of the shows but, even in the cities it seems that everyone is walking around in mud all the time. And God bless you for handling the cold better than I do. It is 48* here now and I'm uncomfortable. I do envy you for the natural beauty and wild life. Probably a lot less regulations in Alaska than most of the lower 48.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Jerry - those Alaska "reality" shows are a bit much for me to watch but they do show a bit of Alaska's scenery that I've always said spoils your sense of grandeur. There is a time of year we call "breakup" though, typically end of March to early April which is our muddy season but usually limited to that in most places unless you're breaking trail through the muskeg. And as for less regulation, well, the greenies think all of Alaska should be a park (we already have more national park land set aside than all the other states combined, almost by twice). They try to shut down any development using visions of Cat D9's walking all over the state destroying everything to bring political pressure. I spent my first five years working up here flying all over the state in light aircraft and I can tell you after flying for hours at a time and not seeing any sign of human activity, that's a lie, just not possible, but you know how emotions rule these things. Come on up some time to see it for yourself, it's an amazing place and still the Great Land, even when it's cold

Comment

Like everyone else I know, I have always wanted to visit Alaska. The distance has always given me an excuse to put the trip off. I guess, fly to Seattle and take a cruise up the inland passage would be the way to do it. Such a big state with so much to see.
                1988 26' cuddy
                1975 20' open
                16' Sandpiper
                14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

The Huntington Beach coast looked nearly as beautiful today, 68* and a light breeze. Too bad all of the knuckle heads in California ruin the dream.

Jerry, take a trip to Alaska! I spent a week on the Kenai river for my 50th birthday, my wife and I wanted to sell our overpriced So Cal home when we returned. Seward was kind of a bust for us but fishing out of Anchor Point and anywhere on the Kenai was awesome. On top of the fishing and wild lands, the people we met were fantastic. We are determined to cash out of California and make this area our permanent home.
                  Steve
                  1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

Jerry we had done as you suggested flying into Seattle and taking a cruise on the inside passage. It was a fantastic trip. The only thing I would like to do different if we went again would be to do a bare boat charter on something like a grand banks trawler to explore the area a little more.
                    Mark
                    1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                    1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

I am so ready for May... my morning commute today...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_061842.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	30333

Name:	20210118_062519.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	30334
                      but "main" road (maybe 20% of entire commute) had at least seen a plow at some point...

Name:	20210118_062023.jpg
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	30335
                      yep, definitely ready for spring!
                      Karen
                      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
                      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
                      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
                      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
                        I am so ready for May... my morning commute today...

Name:	20210118_061842.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	30333

Name:	20210118_062519.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	30334
                        but "main" road (maybe 20% of entire commute) had at least seen a plow at some point...

Name:	20210118_062023.jpg
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	30335
                        yep, definitely ready for spring!
                        Lake effect global warming goodness?

Comment

The 3' snowfall we had is almost gone, but we're getting light flurries here to there. It's 36 F today, which is nice. Between the woodstove and the radiant heat, we're toasty in the cabin!

Comment

So a much nicer commute today, maybe it's the daylight, or that I was headed home instead of to work, but hard not to appreciate the beauty of fresh snow along the creek bottom.

Name:	20210119_074804.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	30344 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210119_081205.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	30346
                            off of a 1 lane bridge along my route...
                            Attached Files
                            Karen
                            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
                            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
                            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
                            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

While the beauty can be there either way the ride is always nicer heading home.
                              Mark
                              1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
                              1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X