Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

17 ft PCM 140 Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 ft PCM 140 Exhaust question

I've got a 17 with 140 PCM. Runs great but boy it is loud under way. No way to carry on a conversation while cruising at 20-25. Curious what others have done to calm the noise down a bit. Mine is all original and has a flapper on the exhaust and sound deadening foil wrapped material underside of engine cover.

The cheapest fix I have used is a rubber elbow on the through hull on the outside.
    Atlantic City, NJ
    1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

• Luckycharm
      Luckycharm commented
      Editing a comment
      You just clamped it on And it is angled down? Is a flapper still needed? How much did it help ?

I have Rex stainless steel thru hulls and the flappers are part of them. The elbow was trimmed so it is just above the water when on plane. I have had mufflers, insulated metal and fiberglass tube and the elbows make it better than all the other mods but it's still an inboard. Part of my love of an inboard is the throaty sound.
    Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Our motor sound level dropped by nearly half (by my ear) with a good layer of Sound Down. Depending on the age of the install or the quality of the materials used it may be worth revisiting the install. I am not familiar with the 17s but being that you are right on top of the engine it will certainly be loud, especially if you were used to an outboard before.
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

I would have recommended sound down but for the weight. The 17 is a little slow getting on plane compared to the 20 and 26. It IS a smaller engine and planing surface. If you can deal with the weight go for it. It will reduce the noise.
        Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

There is Sound down on the underside of the engine cover that seems to be in good shape. Some could probably be added to the sides of the inside of the console but I'm not sure if it would help much or not. I am definitely interested in quieting the exhaust exit at the transom and I'm looking at potential solutions to that now. Looks like there are a bunch of products made specifically for this and some home made solutions as well. I'm not looking for quiet but I'd like to be able to not have to yell WILMAAAAAAAA so loud like Fred Flintstone every time I need the wife to grab me er uhm another coca cola

Comment

Rubber elbow will be a big improvement. Sound pruffing and sound down are two different things just fyi.
            Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
              Rubber elbow will be a big improvement. Sound pruffing and sound down are two different things just fyi.
              Ok thanks Ship gonna give this a try for sure ! Any idea where to pick one up? Is it a marine specific part or hardware store ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ship View Post
                Also, is it ok to run the rubber elbow with no flapper ?

Comment

The flapper prevents water from backing up the exhaust when backing down. There is one other consideration and that is vacuum from valve overlap. The is a small period between intake and exhaust when the engine is running. I cut a small notch in my elbow to TRY to prevent that.
                  Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

Since you only have single exhaust you need to try/make something like this-https://www.freshairexhaust.com/

Comment

Can you run the rubber elbow without a flapper? If not, how would you put a flapper on it ?

Comment

Google: marine rubber exhaust elbows. And plumbing check valve.
                        Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

I run rubber elbows without a flapper. Bought in the plumbing isle.
                          1988 26' cuddy
                          1975 20' open
                          31 Grand Slam
                          16' Sandpiper
                          14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Working...
                          X