Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

What to include in an onboard tool kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to include in an onboard tool kit

Been thinking and over the winter want to put together a tool kit to keep on board, probably in an orange ammo box. Currently i just have a mess of tools in the dash from the rebuild. I have my ideas but would like to hear from others. From tools to parts to keep on board. Particular sizes of wrenches, parts that are common to fail/easy to replace. Anything else that may be handy. But can fit in an ammo box.
    thanks in advance

I keep a spare impeller and the proper size Allen wrench to replace it, a couple of screwdrivers and a Tow Boat membership card!

Comment

They now make 'snake' cameras at a reasonable price, that and a good waterproof flashlight that can lay in the bilge to brighten the area while you search for the nuts and bolts you will inevitably lose.
      basic wrenches, crescent wrench (or monkey wrench if you prefer), maybe a 'cheater bar' for extra leverage and reach, spare fuses, small container of white grease, a roll of electrical tape and duct tape, spare serpentine belt, diagonal cutters and a couple of (preferred style) wire connectors.
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

I'm always tinkering so rather than carry tools to the boat, I have a pretty complete set on the boat. Each boat. Harbor freight stuff. Wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, pliers, sockets, etc. In addition to the basic tools I have a packing nut wrench, RW impeller, electronic ignition, multi-meter, wire terminal kit and a Boat U.S. card.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        31 Grand Slam
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I have a tool box I carry from boat to boat with me and I even take it on friends boats. They think I’m crazy but it has gotten us out of a bind more than once! I also keep various spare bulbs and fuses in it and I rigged up a 12 gauge piece of wire about 20 feet long with alligator clips in case I ever need to bypass something in a pinch to get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
            I have a pretty complete set on the boat. Each boat.
            Me too. I do all my own maintenance. I use my on-board tools, to make sure they're adequate for the job. If I do a job that requires a tool not already in my box, I'll add that tool to the box. I really don't want to be broken down on the ocean without the proper tool.

Clint Smith
            Idaville, Oregon
            '93 22' Warrior (Walkaround)

Comment

Spare WP impeller and belt, spare EYEGLASSES

Comment

Working...
              X