Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Time to start up the power washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to start up the power washer

So with our cooperative marine closing a few weeks early this fall for maintenance, the Mainship will be sitting in the driveway tomorrow morning until mid-April once again. It has been another fine season with few hiccups with the rig. She is a pleasure to run. No long trips this year but many trips across the sound to the fine waterfront restaurants on the Connecticut side as well as numerous trips to the local beaches. As what seems to be the norm for the past 10 seasons fishing started off good only to peeter out as the season wore on. I caught my share of stripers ln May and June on the Mojos. July I fish hard for that 10 lb fluke that has eluded all these years. I had a 6, 7.14 and an 8 pounder in a stretch of one week but that double-digit flaty has avoided me again. Small blues were easy to catch on jigs most of October. I came down with a tough virus that had a hold of me for three weeks at the end of October and early Nov so I never really gave the blackfish a good shot. My last good fishing trip was on a head boat out of Captree on the south shore in the 2nd week of Oct. It was lights out bass fishing in the ocean on diamond jigs with the 30 fares limiting out by 8:30 in the morning. It was crazy fishing with most of the bass in the high teens and twenties. Pool fish was 39lbs. I had six nice keepers keeping my limit (1) with a number of shorts. Many fish were lost with multiple hookups making it impossible to keep your lines clear of others. So that's a wrap for Holty. Let's hear how the season went for the rest of you Shamrockers.

regards Holty
    Last edited by holty; 11-06-2019, 08:03 PM.

I love the looks of that Mainship and sounds like that Yanmar is treating you right. And the bass fishing sounded fantastic. My boat is under cover for the winter now after another great year of fishing and family fun. We even were in the money for the Silver Salmon derby this year, first time for us. My grandson made day money for biggest youth fish one day and my brother got 11th place overall good for an Apple watch, our best showing in 13 years of fishing the derby. Only downside to the silver fishing was all the brown jellies fouling our gear. One even got sucked up against my sea water intake causing a low flow alarm the day I pulled the boat. The damn thing fell off in the driveway while pressure washing the bottom. They just wouldn't leave me alone!

Comment

Our season also ended a few weeks ago and the 26er is safely tucked away in her winter storage barn. We had an outstanding year, with over 30 trips out onto the lake (Erie) and about half of those with vets from Project Healing Waters. We took 599 walleye to the fillet table along with a few perch and steelhead we happened to come across.
      we had a fish fry at camp to celebrate the end of the season with the guys and are already looking forward to next year. Until then it will be just watching videos and going to shows maybe to get our fishing fix.
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Karen - I saw this thread on THT and thought of you and your fishing trips out on Lake Erie. That's some really tough water!

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ber-witch.html

Comment

Definitely some impressive pics! Lake Erie is shallow, so very, very prone to extreme wave conditions and rapidly changing conditions. Definitely can get snotty in a big hurry. You have to respect the lake, or any body of water, but Erie can certainly be its own special monster once in a while.
          Karen
          Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
          1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
          1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
          3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Working...
          X