Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Reupholster Knee Cushions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reupholster Knee Cushions

The knee cushions around the cockpit are starting to show wear, and I would like to have them reupholstered. How can they be removed and reinstalled?
    Kingfisher
    1990 22' PREDATOR INDMAR 5.7 310 HP and ZF 45 C
    Fishineer
    1976 20' CENTER CONSOLE Ford 302 and B/W 1:1
    Wilmington, NC

Dan, when I replace bolsters, I make them with a mesh back and hang them from a track. Like the curtains hang. Really easy to remove and clean.
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    31 Grand Slam
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
      Dan, when I replace bolsters, I make them with a mesh back and hang them from a track. Like the curtains hang. Really easy to remove and clean.
      This is how ours are made and installed also. I do know some are attached with heavy snaps though. Hopefully yours aren't glued on!
      Karen
      Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
      1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
      1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
      3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

There is no hardware on the underside which causes me to speculate the mounts are screwed into the inside faces of the gunwales and the bolsters either lift off of the mounts or unsnap. I suspect the bolsters are original. They are currently serviceable, so I may wait until winter incase it gets complicated. Did the original bolsters on Shamrocks lift off of mounts or pull away from snaps?
        Kingfisher
        Fishineer
        Wilmington, NC

Comment

Kinda like the song lyrics - do I stay or do I go - do I lift or do I pull?
          Kingfisher
          Fishineer
          Wilmington, NC

Comment

Try pushing up on them. If that doesn't work, maybe they have Xmas tree fasteners. Try prying them out.
            1988 26' cuddy
            1975 20' open
            31 Grand Slam
            16' Sandpiper
            14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

I'm interested too in how they're fastened as mine are going to need replacement soon. I'd also like to find some foam that's more impervious to water as mine are water logged and I get my legs wet when I lean up against them as the water squishes out (one reason I usually wear my Helly bibs when fishing). Anybody use something like pool noodle stuff for the foam?

Comment

The place that does our vinyl work uses a high density foam and they do the mesh back like Jerry suggested. Makes for a good cushion and they dont hold water.
                Karen

Comment

I tried to lift and tried to pull. Nothing. I may wait until the fall to make them come off.
                  Kingfisher
                  Fishineer
                  Wilmington, NC

Comment

You could take a razor blade and cut the bottom side near the gunwale for about 12" from a corner. You can then pull the foam a bit away from the wall and look in with a flashlight, there should be an attachment point within a few inches of the corner/end. If nothing is visible between the foam and backing from inside then I would say it has been glued in place or has a backer board or track to act as the attachment. A razor cut can be patched with superglue or duct tape and could be sewn later to repair since it isn't in a visible spot.
                    Karen

Comment

Working...
                    X