Old neighbor gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old neighbor gone

This guy has been around for years. Common to see him swimming across the canal. Today as I went to step down I saw him. Woooh. Stomped, he just looked. Touched his tail and he came around on me with mouth open. Sorry but this is my turf and I still am the alpha animal here. Click image for larger version

Name:	snake on dock.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	34754 Click image for larger version

Name:	snake on dock 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	34755
    1988 26' cuddy
    1975 20' open
    16' Sandpiper
    14' Certified Fiberglass

I scream like a girl when I see a snake.
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

Comment

I’m not much on snakes either Jerry. His time was up.

Comment

He had a bad attitude. He could have just left but, no. He had to be a big shot. Now he is crab bait. Don't know what kind he WAS but definitely not afraid of me.
        1988 26' cuddy
        1975 20' open
        16' Sandpiper
        14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Mostly snakes are pretty cool to have around but sure seems that one was a bit too full of himself. When they are too comfortable they can be dangerous. I catch and relocate ones I find around the yard or coops unless I think there is a risk to the chicks. Looks like that one was well past a relocation candidate.
          Karen
          Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
          1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
          1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
          3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Almost stepped on a small one on my woods walk today. It wasn't able to move real fast with its big belly full, lol. Sent pics to Chris at work. Part of the daily walk routine lately.
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

I like snakes. Even poisonous ones. They eat mice, rats, and other critters. When possible I just want around them. If not going to be nice nice , I have pick up tongs that make relocation fairly safe. I don't come across them much anymore but as a younger man, I went looking for them. My wife won't let them in the house or I would have had them as pets.
              Atlantic City, NJ
              1982 Cuddy, Rebuilt 351 .060 rings, Edelbrock carb

Comment

I subscribe to every monkey has his tree just don’t mess with my tree. The snake messed with your tree.
                Hope you catch some nice crabs.
                Kingfisher
                1990 22' PREDATOR INDMAR 5.7 310 HP and ZF 45 C
                Fishineer
                1976 20' OPEN FISHERMAN Ford 302 and B/W 1:1
                Wilmington, NC

Comment

Originally posted by My My Hey Hey View Post
                  I scream like a girl when I see a snake.
                  Same here.

On a very rare occasion we get a timber rattler which makes its way across the valley. They're protected as an endangered species, we are beyond their usual summer range from their den. They are quite mellow, however. Freakishly, about 14 years ago we lost our female dog Kava from a secondary autoimmune reaction from a no-venom bite. She must have surprised it, and it bit her on the belly for defense. It was a horrible ordeal.

The spotted adders around here kill the rattlers, so even though they're mean and aggressive, I don't mind them when I see them. The big ones still creep me out, because they're fast. One day I flipped over the jon boat to fish my big pond. After I rowed out, a big adder came out from under the foam in the bench seat and came at me like a missile. Let me tell you - it's hard to try to hold off and flip a snake out of a boat with an oar. I panic-rowed to shore and jumped out and stood off until it slithered away!
                  1987 26' Hardtop
                  1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Comment

Snakes don't bother me non. I have a 26 year old 4 1/2 Ball Python.

Comment

Pat, I know this is last minute and I apologize however, I can't make it for dinner at your place tonight. Maybe some other time and somewhere place.
                      1980 pilot house 351
                      1988 260 predator 408

Comment

When I was growing up rattlers were very common. Also, we would pass dead skunks on the road frequently. For whatever the reason, I have not seen or smelled either in many years! I am now tolerant of both snakes and skunks.
                        C Rhodes
                        26' Mackinaw - 1990
                        351 Indmar (1990-2006: Great Engine)
                        351 PCM (2006 - Current)
                        Southport, NC

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎