Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Caught a bruiser fluke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught a bruiser fluke

I took a quick trip down to fish Long Island Sound Saturday and Sunday. I had left the 20'er down there again. I took my BIL and SIL out both days, and we got into a few decent fluke towards the middle of the incoming in 60' of water on Saturday. Yeah! Surface temp was 70.4 F. The fishing shut down like a switch, so I moved out to slopes from 80 to 100'. We picked a few shorts. At slack high, I moved back to a contoured area in 50-60' of water off a 30' deep flat, and about 1 hour into the outgoing tide I nailed a 30" fluke which weighed in at 11lbs 12 oz! That's my personal best fluke for the Sound! Here's a pic of the fluke and my sun-roasted face.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brutus Fluke July 10.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	32208
    1987 26' Hardtop
    1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

Fluke in 120Qt cooler and on the fillet board . It's.....thickerer.

Name:	Fish cooler July 10.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	32210

Name:	fillet 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	32211
    1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Congratulations that is a great fish.
      Mark
      1990 26’ open 351W Indmar
      1987 30’ Blackwatch twin 351W Crusaders (sold)

Comment

Awesome fish...looks more halibut size

Comment

Way to go!! I have been fishing the Eaton's Neck area west of you for over 50 years and have still not found that double-digit fluke. I have come very close a few times and a few others on my boat have done it. That is a special catch especially for this year with the fluking on the downswing. Great catch!!!

regards Holty

Comment

Finally proof that they do exist! Congratulations!
            Karen
            Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
            1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
            1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
            3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Originally posted by holty View Post
              Way to go!! I have been fishing the Eaton's Neck area west of you for over 50 years and have still not found that double-digit fluke. I have come very close a few times and a few others on my boat have done it. That is a special catch especially for this year with the fluking on the downswing. Great catch!!!

regards Holty
              Thanks. You'll get one, because you put in the time. That's a great area for monsters. I've fished from Pt Jeff to Orient since the 80's, and my biggest was still shy of 9#. I've got a few 10#s out in Shinnecock and Montauk. Over the past few years the LI fluke have dried up. Last year I had to go to the middle grounds to even find some. In the 90's, I'd drift off the Northville platform in a 12' tin boat in 25' of water and and bail them almost every time I went out.
              1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
                Finally proof that they do exist! Congratulations!
                Right? Gee whiz I was getting discouraged, but I didn't expect Goliath.
                1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Mako2 View Post
                  Congratulations that is a great fish.
                  Thanks. It was hoots and hollers when we got it in the net! It had a reverse gear that cranked my rod right over, and my BIL almost missed it. Phew!
                  1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Nice. Well done.
                    1980 pilot house 351
                    1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Originally posted by Deputyrpa View Post

Thanks. It was hoots and hollers when we got it in the net! It had a reverse gear that cranked my rod right over, and my BIL almost missed it. Phew!
                      Nice fish! I have a couple of extra halibut harpoons I can give you for the next one so you don't lose it

Comment

• Deputyrpa
                        Deputyrpa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha ha! I only wish I could regularly catch them that big as to require extreme landing measures!

That not a fluke it was ALL skill.

Great catch l have not seen a doormat like that since l was a kid! Congratulations
                      Just wishin', and hopen', and dreamin'

Comment

Working...
                      X