Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

It was like Victory at Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was like Victory at Sea

I had flashbacks of that movie today - all within appropriate scale, of course. Took a quick 300 mile trip with the 20'er to Long Island to fluke fish. Last week the weather was supposed to be ideal this week. So much for forecasts! My sister in law was the only maniac to go out with me today. We had the entire Long Island Sound to ourselves. It certainly wasn't because the wind was NW at 15-20 with gusts to 25, and the resulting 3-4 footers. I plowed the Shamrock around the east end of the Sound, and wound up with a dozen fluke an inch or two short, and a monster sea bass, which is out of season now. Tomorrow should be milder, with winds down to 10.
    1987 26' Hardtop
    1996 20' Walkaround Cuddy

There is something rewarding of turning that bow onto the snotty weather and pushing forward on the throttle. Hope the weather calms down for you.

Comment

Welp, as the week progressed, the weather got better. Alas, fishing for the target fluke did not. We caught undersized fluke, but no keepers (minimum 19 inches). We caught shark, bluefish and tons of monster black sea bass, Black sea bass opens up on the 23rd. So, I left the Shammy on the island with my nephew for a quick return trip this weekend. I have to buy another discbine and mow some hay first!
      1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Unfortunate you didn't find your target fluke but seems like you made it a good fishing run anyway.
        I dont envy you the hay duty this week, my sister and BIL just put 420 bale in my barn this weekend for their horses and goats. I skipped hay duty this year while my foot heals but will probably help on the second cut. Unfortunately they lacked time and help so they only cut half the field this time or they would be set for the year.
        Karen
        Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
        1986 Shamrock H/T with RWC 330 hp PCM, dual hydraulic helm
        1992 Mako 211CC w/Mercury Optimax 175
        3 other smaller OB boats and a trusty old canoe...

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherlady2 View Post
          Unfortunate you didn't find your target fluke but seems like you made it a good fishing run anyway.
          I dont envy you the hay duty this week, my sister and BIL just put 420 bale in my barn this weekend for their horses and goats. I skipped hay duty this year while my foot heals but will probably help on the second cut. Unfortunately they lacked time and help so they only cut half the field this time or they would be set for the year.
          I like the physical work, but not the outlay of big money to replace my old and broken haybine with a dependable discbine. I usually put up about 600 small square bales for our horses, and sell about 3000 of them and about 250 4x4 round bales each year.. I'm late in planting one 25 acre piece, so I might get one cut out of it this fall. I'll only cut about 10 acres this week, because I have no help to unload and stack. That'll be enough of a workout for me! Next week my buddy will combine efforts and we'll go to town on the first cut.
          1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Two of us cutting at night. My old haybine did me well for 10 years!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1302.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	32060
            1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

A nice day on the Sound. I ran into a gentleman with a Shammy 26 Cuddy again this year. He's a really nice guy who fills me in on the potential hotspots, as he's out there a lot.. He goes out and fishes in some snotty weather, but he didn't bother going out Wednesday. I was the only doorknob trying to fish in that slop!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0335.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	32063 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0334.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	32064
              1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

I just came back for a quick 3-dqy solo trip to fish the Sound again. I had left the 20'er down there with my wife's family. Black Sea Bass had opened up, and of course they had moved off elsewhere, from where they were last week, into deeper water. I found them on ~100' on drop-offs, and we all limited out each day! As a bonus, we also boated some stripers. Yummy fish! I also caught a huge 18" blowfish on a bucktail, but threw it back.

I have to get a thru-hull transducer for my Humminbird Helix SI Mega 12. I have to slow down to 7mph to read bottom, and that's a pain while trying to efficiently find structure and features in large bodies of water. I may do an in-keel mount like lwarden did so I can get away with one transducer for the side-imaging. Another thought is to mount the transom transducer on the surface of the keel and snake the wire up through a hole in the keel.
                1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

You had an 18" blow fish ? Anglerfish ?
                  1988 26' cuddy
                  1975 20' open
                  16' Sandpiper
                  14' Certified Fiberglass

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Fix View Post
                    You had an 18" blow fish ? Anglerfish ?
                    Yes, an 18" blowfish, not an anglerfish. That sucker was huge, and fought like a sea bass! The marina and bait shop owner said he used to catch them a lot in the 80's.
                    1987 26' Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                    X