Announcement

Collapse

ONE RULE

Consider this your neighborhood bar,corner soap box, fish house, marina, coffee shop or anywhere else you go to hang out with friends and talk anything you want. Only thing, personal attacks will not be tolerated. No name calling or belittling. Be civil at all times and have fun. If a topic offends you, don't read any further.
See more
See less

Fly Fishing in Salt Water.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing in Salt Water.

I'm interested in getting into this. Anybody do it?

I'm looking for ideas to get started.

Thanks,
    1980 pilot house 351
    1988 260 predator 408

I regularly fish a 6wt and 9wt. Heavy sinking lines and clouser bait fish patterns work for me. What do you plan on fishing for?
    Steve
    1998 260 Mackinaw Sea Maxx 5.7 HO TBI 12' Klamath w/ 20hp Tohatsu EFI

Comment

My primary way of fishing. On the chesapeake the best way to get into it is chasing schools of breaking rockfish. An 8wt rod with an intermediate sink line is a good starter. I am partial to redington and sage rods...redingtons are cheaper and work well. I like the Vice rod with Bohemoth reel. Clousers are deceiver patterns are great all around flies. Can also be helpful to have an 8wt floating line to fish top water.

And dont be afraid to be that crazy guy practicing your casting in the front yard.also if you have access to a farm pond learning casting and how to fight fish can be easier in that setting

Comment

Thanks guys.
        I'm on a creek on the Rappahannock so I would probably start right on the pier where there are grey trout, speckled trout, catfish and rockfish. There is something breaking in the water every evening.
        I do have a small pond at the house and was practicing last night. My son and I had a blast catching bass and brim.
        Thanks for the guidance but I need to back up a little. I have a pole with string and a couple of fly's.
        Are there differences in what you use in fresh and salt water?
        Explain when and why you use different lines and how long the leader should be.
        What is a fish pattern.
        Are you getting an idea what you are dealing with now?
        Thanks
        1980 pilot house 351
        1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Haha...main difference in fresh and saltwater is the construction of the rods with eyes and reel seats that hold up to the salt. Different lines allow you to vary depths and different tapers of the line can aid in casting. For most saltwater a weight forward line is what you want...helps cut through the wind when casting. Floating lines do just that...float. Sinking lines sink at different rates. I do most of my fishing with an intermediate sink lines (which is in the middle of sink rates). The floating lines help when fishing top water (crease fly is a great topwater fly for the bay) and the sinking lines help keep the fly down and in the subsurface strike zone. Clouser minnow patterns are go to to catch fish in the salt (tutti frutti color is killer for specs). Leader not that important...can be a 5-6ft hunk of straight 15lbs mono.

i think jerry may have an 8wt rod/reel that he was trying to get rid of.

Comment

Thank you. How can I tell the difference between the eyes and reel seats?
            1980 pilot house 351
            1988 260 predator 408

Comment

No reel way to tell...pun intended. The manufacturers will give the description on the rods. Usually stainless components used in the saltwater versions. If you are just getting into it any old set up will do. If you stay with it then you will want something to hold up in the salt environment. Cost vary greatly with fly fishing from $100 to multiple thousands for a combo. Line is expensive but casting a good quality line is worth it(shoots out of the guides to make 75-90 ft casts much easier).

Comment

I went off of the pier yesterday evening using the fly that tore up the bass and brim in the pond and got no bites. Fish were breaking all over the place.
                1980 pilot house 351
                1988 260 predator 408

Comment

Working...
                X